Projects » Education » Milbank Chapel Teachers College
Milbank Chapel Teachers College
The historic Milbank Chapel was originally built in 1897, renovated during 1960 and was previously used by Teachers College as its primary lecture hall and auditorium. In order to provide state-of-the-art technologies and aesthetics, Teachers College implemented this renovation to modernize the primary fixture of its college, the Milbank Chapel.
As is the case with most historic restorations, the Milbank Chapel Restoration Project preserved the integrity and detailing of the original structure while upgrading the mechanical, electrical, life safety and audiovisual systems.
For this particular restoration the Chapel was converted for use as a two hundred seat auditorium/theater, with a majority of the original orientation restored in order to conserve the historic design. However, entirely new systems were put in place including: projection screens, speakers, theater lighting and dimming systems, A/V systems, fire protection and handicap access.
Additionally, new millwork, ornamental plaster ceilings, wood flooring, and historic paintings including gold leafing and stenciling were added to mimic the original design. The result was an award winning restoration project.
|Project Name:||Milbank Chapel Teachers College|
|Project Location:||New York, New York|
|Owner:||Teachers College, Columbia University|
|RCDolner Role:||Construction Manager|